Laboratory Automation – Flexible Solutions
High throughput Laboratory Automation for east automated Density, Specific Gravity (SG), Optical Rotation (OR), Specific Rotation (SR), Refractive Index (RI), Brix, Urea, Color (Reflectance and Transmittance), pH measurements and more.
• Self-validated system – new software makes it easy to run daily system validations which can be done as often as you’d like without any interruption to your routine.
• Custom sample racks allow use of your vial – Saves time, money and no decanting. Simply use the same vial you’re accustomed to: 4 Dram, 1 oz., 1/2 oz. , 16x100mm, 13x100mm, 13x7mm, 5mL, and more.
• Heated Racks – For your heated applications we have 2 configurations available: 40/10 (40 heated and 10 non-heated ) and 20/30 (20 heated and 30 non-heated). Petroleum Customers know that it is necessary to have non-heated availability for some control samples and the AutoFlex® R837 is the only auto sampler available at the time of publication that can comply with both heated and unheated applications.
• Urgent sample – Allows the user to run an interrupt sample without having to restart the active run.
• Flexible Method Selection – One of our goals at Rudolph Research Analytical is to keep things simple for the user. Each sample may require different sample load mode and/or parameters, measurement parameters, measurement criteria, temperature, cleaning parameters with solvent type, amount of solvent and drying time.
• Unattended Operation – The R827 and R837 has the intelligence to alert the operator to a low solvent condition or high waste jar condition.
• Unmatched Features – Push the start button and watch the vial spin to read your barcode (QR, PDF417, or 2D labels) for the sample ID. Low and highly viscous samples load flawlessly. The R837 will produce automated Density, SG, OR, SR, RI, Brix, CIE L*a*b*(Color) , Gardner, ABS, %T, Cobalt, pH measurements, then transfers the results automatically to LIMS, SAP or any proprietary data management system. The R837 can reclaim the sample if enabled, then thoroughly clean and dry with zero cross contamination.
Rudolph sets the standard for high throughput laboratory automation
Flexible Automated Drawer Solution
Mixing highly viscous samples with regular samples is seamless. Users may assign pressure, suction, rinsing and heating to the sample drawer or the carousel system.
Automation Flexibility with 2 sample capacity
The Two Sample Drawer Model, with fully automated sample loading, is perfect for labs who want the benefits of automatic sample loading, cleaning and drying but don’t have a large number of samples to measure.
• 3 sample movement techniques: suction, pressure, or both
• 3 rinses to thoroughly clean the system.
• Automated cleaning allows lab staff to efficiently focus on higher valve activation.
• Samples can be heated automatically.
• Automatically load a blank and a sample in one routine.
• Instruments are always ready to use, walk away and the system cleans itself.
• Make 1 to 6 measurements per sample.
• By using the next sample as a rinse it reduces cycle time.
• Very compact footprint with fully automated functionality as shown.
Data Collection Solutions
Automated Data Collection
Automated sampling manages electronic data recording, sample IDs, and reduces operator errors. Test tubes and bottles can be automatically identified by the system with a built in barcode and label reader. The perfect automation solution for your high throughput laboratory to allow your staff to start a measurement and go work on other tasks.
• Use any format of bar codes: PDF 417, 2D Matrix, UPC, or any bar code your lab chooses.
• The bar code is recorded as the Sample ID, measurements are taken, and data is available for export to a USB, Network Server, LIMS or any data storage system.
• Labeling sample vials is also simplified as each bar code can be placed at any rotation on the sample vial or bottle because the sample vials are spun as they pass the bar code reader.
• Import List of Sample IDs – Sample IDs can be saved and exported to AutoFlex®, which can automatically populate the sample sequence without the need of sample labels.
• Low sample volume consumption – The AutoFlex® R837 uses less than 12ml of sample for a 5 instrument combination of automated measurements: Specific Gravity SG, Refractive Index (RI), Optical Rotation (OR), Color (LAB) and pH (Density Meter, Refractometer, Polarimeter, Colorimeter, pH meter).
• Fast Throughput – 1.5 to 8 minutes per cycle (load, measure & clean). Some of the fastest data from a laboratory automation system in the industry.
High Throughput laboratory Automation Solution
Automated Density, Specific Gravity (SG), Optical Rotation (OR), Refractive Index (RI), Color, and pH measurements.
• Push the Start button let the system produce automated Density, Specific Gravity (SG), Refractive Index (RI), Optical Rotation (OR), Specific Rotation, Color, and pH measurements. Then all results are exported automatically to your LIMS with a sample ID number.
• Flexible Sample Vials: Test Tubes, Boston Rounds, 1 OZ, ½ OZ, virtually any size bottle.
• Flexible rack configurations: Heated and unheated on the same carousel.
• Flexible Method Selection: Suction Mode, Pressure Mode, Combination Mode (for unmatched power) 3 variable rinse selections and endless drying time options.
Smart Sample Loading Technology
• SMART TECHNOLOGY™ automatically adjusts pump speed ranging from thin to high viscosity samples up to 36,000 mPa-s (cP).
• A heated rack option allows heavy crudes be pumped through the system.
• Standard Methods: Define measurement configuration, sample load configuration (Vacuum or Gas Displacement) solvent choices, and drying time.
• No loss of accuracy or reproducibility over manually loaded samples.
• No house air required.
Flexible Laboratory Automation Solutions
The AutoFlex® Series of Automation is engineered to work better and built to last
The Rudolph R837 Automatic Sampling System is rugged and specifically designed to stand up in harsh and high throughput laboratory and industrial applications.
• Superior material construction: Stainless Steel Needle, PTFE, Teflon, and PEEK liquid flow path materials.
• Robust needle with a sufficient torque to pierce any septum.
• Never miss piercing a sample vial with precision-engineered probe arm and sample racks which virtually eliminate misalignment errors.
• Safety guard protects hands and automated needle detects no-sample condition.
• Modular design reduces combined footprint.
• Interlocking drawer for safety and compliance.
The AutoFlex® R837 can be configured with various instruments and measurement methods to automate a wide range of sample viscosities. It is perfect for high yield laboratories looking to increase productivity. The AutoFlex® is excellent when used in combination with Rudolph Research laboratory instruments in the Petroleum, Chemical, Flavor, Fragrance, Pharmaceutical, and Toxicology industries.
Applications Including but not Limited to:
- Automated Test for Brix
- Automated Petroleum Testing
- Automated Pharmaceutical lab testing
- Automated SG Urine Test
- Automated syrup testing
Flexibility Unmatched with Windows Embedded
The user interface allows the operator to interrupt a measurement routine with an urgent sample. If you need to quickly find and measure a sample in the rack, the auto-find feature will search
and measure it for you.
Cross Contamination Elimination
Eliminate sample cross contamination with complete needle cleaning – a Rudolph exclusive feature
• Self-cleaning needle eliminates cross contamination by washing both inside and outside areas of the needle between each sample. Most commercially available automation systems only flush the inside of the sample needle but neglect cleaning the outside of the needle thereby carrying over small amounts of the prior sample into new samples.
• The AutoFlex® Soaker rinses the entire system with your choice of 3 solvents between each sample.
• Low solvent level sensing: the 3 solvent bottles have a non-contact low level sensor which will prompt the user with a low solvent level message.
• Sample return feature: allows 95% of the original sample to be returned to the sample vial.
• Solvent selection flexibility: by using highly solvent resistant materials for all sample pathways, a wide variety of solvents may be used including: water, acetone, isopropanol, toluene, hexane, and heptane.
Heated Rack or Drawer to Match Your Testing Throughput
Pre-Heat your samples from 30°C to 90°C with heated sample positions.
2 Heated Carousel Configurations
• 20 Heated and 30 non-heated sample positions, for a total of 50 positions.
• 40 Heated and 10 non-heated sample positions, providing independent temperature control for 20 samples that can be set at one temperature and the other 20 at a different temperature and 10 non-heated, for a total of 50 positions.
• Keeps the sample in a liquid state to load and unload the sample without clogging. The temperature is controlled by the measurement method making it transparent, operator friendly, reliable, and safe. Heating is activated only when it is required in the method.
Shown below is the AutoFlex® with a 4 heated racks and 1 non-heated rack system and 2 method solution setup.
Our Laboratory Automation can Configure Racks for any Application
Rudolph Research can provide a sample rack or two position drawer configured to the bottles or vials used in your laboratory so there is no decanting.
A sample of the many custom rack configurations available only from Rudolph. Mix or match up to 5 heated or unheated racks on one Carousel
Small diameter 28 Positions per rack with up to 5 racks.
13mm Test Tube (Dual Rows) Up to 140 samples per carousel.
Standard Test Tube Rack, 10 Positions per rack,
16mm Test Tube (Single Row) Up to 50 samples per carousel.
Standard Test Tube Rack, 17 Positions per rack,
16mm Test Tube (Duel Row) Up to 85 samples per carousel.
Short Test Tube Rack, 10 Positions per rack, 8mm Test
Tube (Single Row) Up to 50 samples per carousel.
Boston Round bottle with caps Rack, 6 or 7 Positions per rack,
(1/2 oz or 1 oz)(14 mm or 28mm) 30-35 samples per carousel.
See the Rudolph R837 AutoFlex Measuring Density and Refractive Index.
Trouble viewing this video? Click Here
AutoFlex R837 – A High Throughput Laboratory Automation Solution
Automated Density, Specific Gravity (SG), Optical Rotation (OR) Refractive Index (RI), Color, and pH measurements.
- Push the Start button let the system produce automated Density, Specific Gravity (SG), Refractive Index (RI), Optical Rotation (OR), Specific Rotation, Color, and pH measurements. Then all results are exported automatically to your LIMS with a sample ID number.
- Flexible Sample Vials: Test Tubes, Boston Rounds, 1 OZ, ½ OZ, virtually any size bottle.
- Flexible rack configurations: Heated and unheated on the same carousel.
- Flexible Method Selection: Suction Mode, Pressure Mode, 3 variable rinse selections and endless drying time options.
High Throughput Laboratory Automation – Smart Sample Loading Technology
- SMART TECHNOLOGY™ automatically adjusts pump speed ranging from thin to high viscosity samples up to 36,000 mPa-s (cP).
- A heated rack option handles heavy crudes and waxes.
- Standard Methods: Define measurement configuration, Sample load configuration (Vacuum or Gas Displacement) solvent choices, and drying time.
- No Loss of Accuracy or Reproducibility over manually loaded samples.
Read more about the Rudolph Research AutoFlex R837
The Rudolph Research ECS (Easy Clean System) is a perfect instrument combination for Laboratories where a high volume of daily samples are required.
One or More Rudolph Instruments may be combined with various Sample Delivery Systems to fulfill all your lab automation needs
Depending on the measurement and throughput requirements of your laboratory various, instrument combinations and sample delivery options may be utilized. Labs requiring two automated measurements such as RI and Density would use a Rudolph Density Meter controlling a Refractometer Optics Module. Samples can be delivered via a manual injection from a syringe which would be suitable for labs with a low daily volume of samples. For labs with a larger daily volume of samples a peristaltic pump would greatly speed up sample loading speeds. For even faster sample loading and automated cleaning the Rudolph ECS system provides high throughput and automatic cleaning. Possibilities include:
- Rudolph Research DDM Density Meter with a Manual, Peristaltic Pump, or ECS Sample Delivery System
- Rudolph Research DDM Density Meter, Refractometer Optics Module, with a Manual, Peristaltic Pump or ECS Sample Delivery System
- Any Rudolph Research Refractometer, Density Meter, and/or Polarimeter with a an ECS Sample Delivery System
Read more about Rudolph Instrument Combinations and sample delivery options.
High Throughput Laboratory Automation Quick Guide
DOWNLOAD A PDF OF THE QUICK GUIDE
All Rudolph Instruments carry our exclusive 20 Commitment to service your instrument.
Rudolph Research Analytical offers a comprehensive range of Preventive Maintenance and Service Programs. Rudolph has demonstrated a commitment to its customers by keeping installed instruments operational, not only for 20 years, but in some cases for over 40 years. This long-term commitment to keeping our instruments running makes the cost of ownership, over the life of a Rudolph Instrument, one of the lowest in the laboratory market segment. At the date this document was published, there is no other laboratory instrument manufacturer guaranteeing service and technical support for 20 years. View the entire 20 Service Guarantee.