Toxicology Lab Automation System
The AutoFlex® R827, Toxicology Lab automation system, comes in both drawer and carousel configurations. This will be based on your laboratory’s needs. For example, the R827 carousel configuration is geared towards Toxicology lab automation, as it can produce automated RI measurements with ease. Labs testing Urine (SG) Specific Gravity at a rate of 100 samples per day therefore benefit from automated sample loading and cleaning, while still using 2 ml of sample is a must. The two-sample drawer automation system with a polarimeter is perfect for the pharmaceutical industry as it allows users to measure their blank and sample in one rotation. The instrument always ends with a cleaning cycle so it’s always left ready to use for the next person. This automation system has many different industries it caters to, like Quality Control in the Food and beverage industry, they have much stricter requirements because their products are mainly for human consumption.
Automated testing for your Density (SG), Urine Specific Gravity, Optical Rotation (OR), Specific Rotation (SR), Refractive Index (RI), Brix, Color (Reflectance and transmittance), pH measurements, and more.
• Self-validated system – makes it easy to run daily system validation. This can be done as often as you’d like without any interruption to your routine.
• Flexible Sample vials – Saves time, and money and no decanting. Simply use the same vial you’re accustomed to, 4 Dram, 1 oz., 1/2 oz., 16x100mm, 13x100mm, 13x7mm, 5mL, and more.
• Heated Racks – For your heated applications we have 2 configurations available 40/10 (40 heated and 10 non-heated) and 20/30 (20 heated and 30 non-heated). We know that it is necessary to have non-heated availability for some control samples and the AutoFlex® R827 is the only autosampler in the world that can fulfill both heated and unheated applications.
• Urgent sample – Allows the user to run an urgent sample without interrupting the active run, this is a big feature for automated flavor and fragrance testing.
• Flexible Method Selection – One of our goals at Rudolph Research Analytical is to keep things simple for the user. Each sample may require different sample load modes and/or parameters, measurement parameters, measurement criteria, temperature, cleaning parameters with solvent type, amount of solvent, and drying time.
• Unmatched Features – Push the start button and watch the vial spin to read your barcode (QR, PDF417, or 2D labels) for the sample ID. Low and highly viscous samples load flawlessly. The R827 can be paired with multiple instruments to produce automated testing for density (SG), urine (SG) specific gravity, OR, SR, RI, Brix, CIE L*a*b*, Gardner, ABS, %T, Cobalt, pH measurements, and then transfer the results automatically to LIMS, SAP or any proprietary data management system. The R827 can reclaim the sample if enabled, then thoroughly clean and dry with zero cross-contamination.
Options for Your Applications
Automation in the Pharmaceutical Industry
Rudolph Polarimeters are the industry standard for Pharmaceutical companies measuring Specific Rotation. Many Pharmaceutical Laboratories also use Rudolph Density Meters and Refractometers or combinations of multiple instruments. Adding an automatic sampling system to one or more instruments offers several benefits. Consistent sample loading procedures add to accuracy and repeatability, which is the main goal for Automation in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Greatly reduces operator error and digitizes all measurement results with permanent storage. Many Pharmaceutical Lab Managers want instruments cleaned and ready for measurements at all times and do not want Lab Technicians rinsing and drying instruments by hand. Using a two-sample drawer automation system with a Polarimeter allows the user to measure their Blank and sample in one operation. The method would then consist of loading the blank, cleaning, and then measuring. The instrument will end with a cleaning and drying so the instrument is always left ready to use.
Automated Flavor and Fragrances Testing
The Flavor and Fragrance industries have unique needs. Many wish to use a Quality Control Automation System to take multiple tests of their samples such as automated testing of Density, Optical Rotation, RI or Brix, pH, Urine (SG) specific gravity, and Color measurements all with one sample loading. Since samples may be scarce or very valuable, using the minimum amount of samples is of great importance when automating our flavor and fragrance labs. Samples may also be very viscous or require several solvents to fully clean the instrumentation. Rudolph’s most capable Automated Flavor and Fragrances testing system can handle all these requirements. Using both suction and pressure pumping, samples up to 37,999 mPa -s can be loaded into up to 5 measuring instruments using less than 12 mL of sample.
Toxicology Lab automation – Testing Urine (SG) Specific Gravity
Labs Testing urine (SG)specific gravity samples most often work with very limited available samples. Thus, testing must be limited to as small a sample as possible so that the sample can be preserved for other testing. Urine labs test very large numbers of samples per day thus automating sample loading, cleaning, and using a small volume of samples is ideal when testing urine samples automatically for the most consistent and repeatable analysis. The same goes for Toxicology and Cosmetic lab automation.
Quality Control Automation System – Automated Food and Beverage Analysis
Food and Beverage companies use Rudolph’s R827 for a Quality Control Automation System. Rudolph’s automated QC system offers multiple instruments to perform various tests such as automated SG, Density, RI/BRIX, Optical Rotation, Color, and pH measurements. Rudolph offers exclusive and superior sample handling including, bar code reading, sample agitation, sample pumping and suction, and up to 3 rinsing agents. The Food and Beverage industry utilizes QC systems where all measurements are made off one sample and at the push of a button. No labs wants to take extra workers off their tasks to make measurements when a Quality control automation system like this can produce the measurements for your team members with the push of a button.
Automated Data Collection
Automatic sample testing manages electronic data recording, and sample IDs, and reduces operator errors. Test tubes and bottles can be automatically identified by the system with a built-in barcode and label reader.
• Use any format of bar codes: PDF 417, 2D Matrix, UPC, or any bar code your lab chooses.
• The bar code is recorded as the Sample ID, measurements are taken, and data is
available for export to a USB, Network Server, LIMS, or any data storage system.
• Labeling sample vials is also simplified as each bar code can be placed at any rotation on the sample vial or bottle because the sample vials are spun as they pass the bar code reader.
• Import List of Sample IDs – A whole list of sample IDs can be saved and exported to the instrument to automatically populate the sample sequence without the need for sample labels.
• Low sample volume consumption – The AutoFlex® R827 uses less than 12 ml — for a 5 analytical instruments system (Density Meter, Refractometer, Polarimeter, Colorimeter, pH meter).
• Fast Throughput – 1.5 to 8 minutes per cycle (load, measure & clean).
The Autoflex® R827 – Toxicology Lab Automation engineered to work better and built to last
The Rudolph R827 Automatic Sampling System is rugged and specifically designed to stand up in harsh laboratory and industrial applications.
• Superior material construction: Stainless Steel Needle, PTFE, Teflon, and PEEK liquid flow path materials.
• Robust needle with sufficient torque to pierce any septum.
• Never miss piercing a sample vial with precision-engineered probe arm and sample racks which virtually eliminate misalignment errors.
• Safety guard protects hands and automated needle detects no-sample condition.
• Modular design reduces combined footprint.
Flexible Rack Configurations for your Toxicology Lab Automation System
Rudolph Research can provide a sample rack configured to the bottles used in your laboratory so there is no decanting.
The AutoFlex® R827 can be configured with various instruments and measurement methods to automate a wide range of sample viscosities. It is perfect for high-throughput laboratories looking to increase productivity. The R827 is excellent when used in combination with Rudolph Research laboratory instruments in the Petroleum, Chemical, Flavor, Fragrance, Pharmaceutical, and Toxicology industries. For example, in the food and beverage industry, a Quality control automation system allows you to get more done with less staff. It frees up hands from producing manual measurements and automats them instead. The R827 paired with the Rudolph Research laboratory instruments provides a user-friendly experience to provide Automated testing for your Density, Urine (SG) Specific Gravity, OR, SR, RI, Brix, CIE L*a*b*, Gardner, ABS, %T, Cobalt, pH measurements in your facility.
Flexibility Unmatched with Windows Embedded Laboratory Automation Software
The user interface allows the operator to interrupt a measurement routine with an urgent sample. If you need to quickly find and measure a sample in the rack, the auto-find feature will search and measure for you.
Certificate of Analysis
This sample was measured on Autosampler, Needlebox Serial Number 1062 and Valve Box
Serial Number : 0001
Density Meter Serial Number : DDM3929
Refractometer Serial Number : 1177
Colorimeter Serial Number : 104034
pH-Meter Serial Number 1780001024219
Printed Date and Time : Wednesday : 09/18/2019 04:31:02PM
Toxicology Lab Automation Solution
Get Consistent and quality automated Density, Urine (SG) Specific Gravity, Refractive Index (RI), Optical Rotation (OR), Specific Rotation (SR), Color, and pH measurements with our Automated QC System.
• Push the Start button for automated Density (SG), Urine (SG) Specific Gravity, Refractive Index (RI), Optical Rotation (OR), Specific Rotation (SR), Color, and pH measurements. All results are exported automatically to your LIMS with a sample ID number.
• Flexible Sample Vials: Test Tubes, Boston Rounds, 1 OZ, ½ OZ, virtually any size bottle.
• Flexible rack configurations: Heated and unheated on the same carousel.
• Flexible Method Selection: Suction Mode, Pressure Mode, 3 variable rinse selections, and endless drying time options.
Smart Sample Loading Technology
• SMART TECHNOLOGY™ automatically adjusts pump speed ranging from thin to high viscosity samples up to 36,000 mPa-s (cP).
• A heated rack option handles heavy crudes and waxes.
• Standard Methods: Define measurement configuration, sample load configuration (Vacuum or Gas Displacement) solvent choices, and drying time.
• No loss of accuracy or reproducibility over manually loaded samples.
Push the start button and watch your vial spin to read your barcode, QR, PDF417, or 2D labels for the sample ID. Sample load flawlessly handles low and high viscous samples, measures your Density, SG, OR, SR, RI, Brix, L*A*B*, Gardner, ABS, %T, Cobalt, pH, then transfers automatically to LIMS, SAP, or any proprietary data management system, reclaims the sample if enabled, then thoroughly cleans and dries with zero cross contamination and it’s ready for your next sample.
A sample of the many custom rack configurations available only from Rudolph Mix or match up to 5 heated or unheated racks on one Carousel
2 Heated Configurations
• 20 Heated and 30 non-heated sample positions, for a total of 50 positions
• 40 Heated and 10 non-heated – sample positions, providing independent temperature control for 20 samples that can be set at one temperature and the other 20 at a different temperature and 10 non-heated for a total of 50 positions
• The automation software has safety measures and intelligence to avoid operator errors.
• SmartSample™ Peristaltic Pump
• Suction Mode
• Carousel holds up to 50 Samples
• Drawer models Holds 2 samples
• Self-Cleaning Needle Soaker
• Low Sample Volume Consumption
• Rack Specific Method Selection
• SAP Compatible
• Variable Drying and Rinse Times
R827D & R827C Features:
SmartSample™ Peristaltic Pump
Yes – All Models
Hybrid Sample Loading
Internal Air Pump
Sample Capacities & Custom Sample Vessels
Carousel Models – Up to 140 samples
Carousel Models – Use your vessel
Rinsing and Cleaning Features
Full Needle Washing and Drying – ideal for automated Urine (SG) Specific Gravity testing
Up to 3
Variable Drying and Rinsing Times
Complete flexibility in Drying and
Low Sample Volume
Low Solvent Alert
Typical Measurement Time
Min Sample Volume
Data Reading and Sample Handling Features
Bar Code Reader
Optional on all Carousel Models – Handheld Bar Code for drawer models
Optional on all Carousel Models – Handheld Bar Code for drawer models
LIMS / SAP / Network Capable
AutoFindTM is available on all carousel models
Up to 6 analysis including Testing Urine SG